Thursday, October 31, 2013

Celebration ~ all around us!

After couple of years (yes, I was very busy last year, esp. during Diwali season) I am writing again about Diwali & over-all celebrations.

Diwali, annual festival of lights, signifies the spirit of a lamp, to fight against the darkness. 

I remember, I was very much enthusiastic for Diwali. My father used to bring a huge box of firecrackers. Then it was my routine to sort them for each day celebrations. Earlier I used to sort it simply total fireworks / number of days. Then I realized, for first & last day I need to arrange more etc. etc. it was all part of planning at that age, might be. Then came the indirect lesson of careful spending/planning your expenses or whatever else corporate name you can give.

I was in seventh standard, my papa gave me Rs. 1000 and asked me to buy some decoration material, akash-kandil (lantern) & fireworks. He asked my uncle to accompany me with instructions that,  "Let him buy whatever he wants, do not allow him to spend more than what I have given." I was happy as this was a rare occasion I got direct money to spend, on my own will. 

My plan was simple, for me decorations are least imp things. I was planning to spend max Rs. 100 on it. Another Rs. 100 for akash-kandil & remaining Rs 800 can bring some good amount of fireworks for me (it was 90's). But problem started, when I went to buy decorations items the list of things I had was costing around 200 Rs. I said alright, lets buy remaining in 50 Rs & 750 Rs of fireworks, a good deal. But again akash-kandil costed 150 Rs & my plan crashed badly. Another game of choices was to select fireworks, which will be more in number, but should not cross my 650 Rs. budget, also there should be some fancy things like 7-shot rockets etc. With all permutations & combinations I finalized the fireworks, but before packing I realized that few items are not much of use (like some noisy sparkles) & I am buying them. I decided not buy those things & finally I came home with my set of fireworks, and all necessary things. With some 75 Rs spare.

When I handed over everything to my father, he was happy. I was too small to understand why...

I got a surprise (additional) pack of fireworks right on the very first day of diwali. Again I never asked why it was... I was just happy that I got more things to play, enjoy & celebrate.

Years later, I joined MBA in Bangalore, that was the first time I was away from my home, even during Diwali. (some assignment/something else don't remember). That was the first time I was staying in Hostel, not much aware about the local language & most important all alone there. That Diwali I realized the importance of celebration, importance of being at home, with family & that was something really more valuable than firecrackers or any other gift. I never missed any diwali after that.

It was 2011, again I was away from my home. Was struggling to get things in place & somehow I was thinking,  "it's really not important to celebrate diwali". Rest of the story you can read in my previous post here. That was dramatic, I was working whole night to make sure, my client's website will be online for his Diwali muhurt, in the morning 5.30 got a call from friend that he is coming down to my place to pick me. I simply slept in bus. Straight for 6 hours. Finally bus conductor woke me up saying, no further stop to this bus, "utha Dapoli aale". When I saw my home again that day, that was the feeling, the bliss! Just 24 hours before, I was planning some excuse of work so that I need to not visit home & spend my productive hours there, working & earning money, & now, after finishing all my deadlines, I was there to celebrate with my beloved people.

This year many things are covering this Diwali. Low markets, less leads in business, increased prices, crumpled (may not be the right word, but feeling) weather & what not. Our twitter discussion was about the same, "Its not feeling like fun, this year!" I was worried, as this might be the result of I am growing old, maturing with experiences. 

Anyways, Looking forward for this fun-filled vacation. Let me throw out the negative thoughts & come back with a new energy. Hope everyone will enjoy


P.S. - It was quite a lengthy post, if you are still reading this... a Special Thanks for reading! 

Happy DIWALI everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment