Sunday, January 1, 2017

Past All Regrets 2016


Just realized that I have skipped my blogpost for 2015. Anyways, no point digging that.

But first ever trek in my life was a life-changing experience. Himalay is beautiful, and remote places in that around 14,000 ft height, makes it more charming. First ever attempt of astro photography which went well.



This year was roller coaster ride. From a not-so-well-prepared decision of shifting my focus, jumping into something which hasn't at all explored before, and spending too much time in making sure to keep things perfect, this year went by like anything.

This year highlighted a fact, my true strength is my family.

No long roadtrip this year (but an adventure, more about it later)

Investments
  1. Finally, finally, I have a new Yongnuo flashgun, to replace my older  & battery guzzling Vivitor 285. I was low on budget, as I have stopped my main business, so settled for Yongnuo 650, instead of Nikon one. But it works, and works amazing.I recently covered a wedding assignment and flash performed amazingly.
  2. Avenger 220 - I am now owner of a godlike machine. This bike is one of the on-the-spot decision, which I rarely make. I went around to have a look at something which can replace my honda activa, found advertisement of Bajaj V bike, went to showroom & finalized 220 Cruise instead. I am no fan of famous Royal Enfield bullets, and its thumping sound. Avenger I found more comfortable, cruise-y and subtle.

    Here is the beauty
    A photo posted by Vikram (@vikramuk) on

  3. One more of long awaited upgrade is my desktop. Got a new desktop, courtesy to my generous wife. It is a long time dream coming true, performance and budget balanced system, with my favorite brand components, Corsair. Its Core i5 6500, 8GB Corsair DDR4 RAM, MSI motherboard, Corsair (once again) V550 SMPS, Kingstong SSD 120GB, Cooler Master custom cooling solution, enclosed in Corsair (third time) Case, with one side transparent & LEDs with 3 fans. This system looks sexy, and performs amazing. My Win10 professional install went clear in 9.30 minutes, pretty fast compare to older workhorse. Got to learn few cabling lessons as well.

    This system helped me to focus more on my work, without worrying of multi-tasking and lags. New workflow is now set & stable.
  4. A photo posted by Vikram (@vikramuk) on

In my break the tradition year, me & my better half did a risky, night time 200 km ride on our new bike. This was many of my firsts
  1. First ever bike ride outside town on geared bike.
  2. First ever long distance ride on two wheeler (earlier was 20km)
  3. First ever on Avenger
  4. First ever in the night on two wheeler.
  5. First ever in Jungle on two wheeler.
This made me realize that I can push myself, in whatever unfavorable or fearsome the situation will be. It took us 8 hours to cover 200km, mainly because of bad road & speedlimit of 50kmph on bike. But it was a memorable (& scary) experience overall. I will not repeat this by choice.

After that we did two more visits to hometown, but in the daytime, exploring scenic landscapes like this.

A photo posted by Vikram (@vikramuk) on

People
 
This year made me realize that people, with whom you work, to whom you help, to whom you smile, helps. Even after misunderstandings, difference of opinions, and arguments, this is your true wealth & worth.

Ending this year on not so great health side, Second time in my life I have to get hospitalized, (first when I was 8 year old), my friend Ram, helped a lot, I cannot imagine what situation I could have been without him. I am recovered now, that incidence took toll on my fitness, will take couple of more months to get into normal life.


Experiences

This year was rich on that front. I purposefully dropped my style of think, plan, backup & execute, going ahead with AdHoc decision, and results are impressive.  I should try this more often.  Met few of the insanely talented people, and exploring further ground in the newfound territories. Got into cloud optimization & DevOps side (SysAdmin tasks focused on WordPress), and I must say, entry has been quite happening. I am enjoying this, and hopefully will make it a commercial service soon. More of good people I found this year. a good omen never-the-less.

I challenged myself to prepare and complete first ever trek in my life. I am more of like Lazy cat. But wife suggested me to try it & I am glad that I accepted. Tarsar Marasar lakes are in central part of Kashmir. Total of 8 days trek was to cover 200 km, at max altitude of 14500 ft from MSL. It was an experience, something which I have never imagined, it rained like anything, it was super cold, but it was beautiful and calm. That was a way to think & explore about myself as well. Anyways that was in 2015. I tried to execute that in 2016.

Over to you 2017.


Plans ahead
I have mentioned even previously about a stealth startup project, now I can share that it is progressing well, expecting to shade the stealth mode in first half of 2017.

Planning of a PoS platform as a service for Indian shops, along with card payment facility. This thing is more complex than I thought.

Looking forward to grow Cloud & DevOps business.

and, a must do visit either to some island (long long overdue), or Kinnaur Again in to the mountains.

Getting a new mobile is now a necessity, I am open if someone want to do giveaway! Otherwise, Pixel is yummy, but settling for OP3T instead.

Driving bike more, is in the plan.
Studying more about new found love for Architecture, is on top priority.

I am looking at 2017 as 5/25 Rule to say NO kind of year. I am listing my 25, this year I will take top 5 & try to make best of that.

PAST ALL REGRETS... Good bye 2016!

1 comment:

  1. Great that you returned to what you had "missed by choice"!

    ReplyDelete